Whatever life is throwing at you this week, this soul-soothing soup is here to nourish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 springs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils (soaked over night or tinned)
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth/stock
- Chopped fresh parsley
The Perfect Soup For SpringWARMING LENTIL SOUP
- Drizzle the oil into the pot. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and stir. Continue to cook the onion, stirring often, until the onions are very soft and beginning to nicely brown and break down, about 8 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, peel the carrots and cut into small dice. Small dice the celery as well. Add the carrots, celery, thyme springs (you can tie them together if you like to make them easier to fish out later), salt, smoked paprika, and pepper. Sauté until the carrots and celery are barely soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and garlic to the pot and stir to coat them in the spices. Let cook 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth.
- Cover and seal the pot, and then set to cook on high for 60 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir the soup. Remove the thyme stems, leaving the leaves in the soup. If the soup is too thick for your liking, thin with a bit of water or additional stock until you reach your desired consistency.