Spend Halloween In Gozo And Do Like The Locals Do.
Halloween in Gozo is a vibrant affair with lots of local events in the main villages and throughout the bars and restaurants. Most venues go for a spooky makeover and up the anti- on events at this time of year. The weather is still warm, the sea is at it’s best and the nights are still lighter than most of Europe.
Check out our Events pages for what’s going on where.
Now for some Hulaween fun!
Whether you love or loathe this seasonal celebration, carving pumpkins is a great way to entertain the family at home. Especially little ones but a pumpkin is not the only thing that lends itself to a funny face pineapples work well too so we are keeping things tropical this Halloween and we invite you to join in the fun. The shape of this delicious fruit really lends itself to imagining all kinds of faces, and it already comes with its own hairdo!
Simple, straightforward and highly effective. Plus the leftovers make for a delicious and nutritious smoothie and (because we like to keep things real) a cheeky tropical Piña Colada.
Here’s the recipe!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Large Pineapple
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife or pineapple corer
- Tray & a Bowl
- A battery-operated candle or tea lights
- Kitchen Roll
HOW TO MAKE
- Adults cut – kids watch!
- Cut off the top of your pineapple around 1-2 inches from the top, leaving the leaves attached. Set aside.
- Scoop out the pineapple flesh. Use a corer if you have one – if not use a knife and cut about an inch from the outer skin. Then, cut the meat into fours like a pizza as this does make it easier to get it out! This gets a bit messy but that’s half the fun! Save all the flesh for your pina colada!
- Pour out any left-over juice into a bowl and pat the inside dry as best you can.
- Now it’s time to carve the face. If you are a creative type – this shouldn’t be too difficult – but we suggest drawing it on paper first – so you know exactly what you are trying to achieve! Put the pineapple on its side and cut out his or her scary features!
- Keeping the pineapple dry with the kitchen roll, finish your cuts until you feel you have reached maximum weirdness.
- Add your candles or battery-operated alternatives and Bomba! You have a hula-ween work of art!
Meet Pietra and Peppi! (Yes we are taking it there!)
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to follow Pietra and Peppi’s journey around Gozo over the coming week where they find lots of dangerous and scary places on the island. The thing is…can you guess where they are? There may be clues in the stories…