Gozo In The House Presents LIQUID SPIRIT Festival 2023. Dates: 15th – 17th September 2023. Experience for the first time in Gozo a sensational lineup of UK heavyweight DJs playing House, Soul, Disco, and
The Ultimate Guide To Churches On Gozo.
Landmark churches dotted across the island dominate the Gozitan horizon. When you visit Gozo be sure to experience their Baroque beauty.
did you know There are over 40 active churches on Gozo in total and Gozo In The House are about to give you a run down on them all.
As soon as you step off the ferry you are greeted by the expansive strength and exuberant designs of Gozo’s churches. They form an integral part of the island’s culture and whether you are religious or not, they are well worth a visit. Sundays are a day of worship and gathering together with family and friends and the cafes surrounding the churches are usually bustling with people before services begin across the island.
Many of the main churches celebrate throughout festa season on Gozo, below, learn where the Gozitan churches are situated and when they celebrate their feasts.
Ghajnsielem meaning ‘peaceful sprint’ is the first village that greets you from Mgarr and the ferry terminal. If you look up your eyes will feast on the two of the four churches in the village. Our Lady of Loreto was built in 1820 and still stands today – the new Ghahnsielem parish church opened in 1924 and St Cecilia Chapel, a former Roman Catholic chapel was built around 1540, but it was deconsecrated in 1644, being converted into an ancillary building for the nearby Santa Cecilia Tower. Ghajnsielem celebrates year-round with feasts in February, June, August, and November.
1. Church of The Madonna of Lourdes Dedication: The Madonna of Lourdes Address: Triq Lourdes, Għajnsielem, Malta Phone: +356 2166 6537 Feast: 11 February
2. Il-Kappella ta' Santa Ċeċilja Dedication: St Ceclia Address: 53 Triq il-Ġnien, Għajnsielem, Malta Feast: 22 November
3. Għajnsielem Parish Church Dedication: Our Lady Of Loreto Address: Pjazza Indipendenza, Għajnsielem, Malta Phone: +356 2155 4615 Website Feast: Last Sunday of August
4. Għajnsielem Parish Church Dedication: St Anthony of Padua Address: Triq Sant' Antnin, Għajnsielem, Malta Phone: +356 2155 6095 Feast: June
Qala is the village overlooking Malta and nearby Ħondoq ir-Rummien bay. Just up the hill from Mgarr and Għajnsielem, it boasts a coastline with salt pans and caves which are super popular with snorkellers and divers. The two churches in Qala are a stone’s throw away from each other. St Josephs in the main square and the Immaculate Conception Of Our Lady is on the way down to Ħondoq.
5. Immaculate Conception of Our Lady Church (Tal-Hondoq) Dedication:Immaculate Conception Address: Immaculate Conception Street (Triq il-Kuncizzjoni) Website Feast: 8 December
6. Qala Parish Church Dedication: St Joseph Address: Triq In Nadur, Qala, Malta Phone: +356 2155 6684 Feast: First Sunday of August
Nadur is located in the Eastern part of Gozo. The second biggest town on the island, known as the ‘second city’. Famous for its square, bakeries and of course, the parish church, Nadur derives from the Arabic word ‘nadara’, which means ‘lookout’.
7. Nadur Parish Church Dedication: Basilica of St Peter and St Paul Address: Pjazza t-28 ta' April, 1688 In-Nadur, Malta Phone: +356 2155 1649 Feast: 29 June
Xewkija is the fourth largest and oldest town in Gozo. It boasts two magnificent churches, one with a rotunda that simply must be seen. The Church of Saint John the Baptist, commonly known as the Rotunda of Xewkija or Xewkija Rotunda, is a Roman Catholic church built by Ġużè Damato in the 20th Century. The dome is the world’s third-highest unsupported dome measuring 27 metres (89 ft) in diameter, 75 metres (246 ft) high and weighs 45,000 tons. It’s supported by 8 large concrete columns covered with stone.
8. Rotunda St. John Baptist Church Dedication: St.John he Baptist Address: Xewkija, Malta Website Feast: Sunday after 24 June
9. Xewkija Chapel Dedication: Our Lady of Mercy Address: St Bartholomew Street (Triq San Bert) Xewkija, Malta
Ta’ Sannat is in the south of Gozo, popular for its very high cliffs, ancient cart ruts, temples and dolmens, and rich fauna and flora. The Queen visited a house called “The Lace house” once which is located in a small square in called “Pjazza Tax-Xelina”. The parish church is a beauty and has been documented as functioning since 1575.
10. Sannat Parish Church Dedication: St Margaret Address: St Margaret’s Church, Triq Ta Cenc, Ta’ Sannat, Gozo, Malta, Phone: +356 2155 1435 Feast: 4th Sunday of July
Close to Sannat you will find the village of Muxar. Close by is the beautiful Xlendi Bay. Prior to the building of the first church, the villagers used to attend services at the Church of St Margaret in Sannat, but as the population grew there were petitions for the building of a church in Munxar itself. A small chapel dedicated to St Paul was built on the spot of the current church, during the late 19th century and after some years another petition was made to rebuild a larger church that stands today. Completed by 1921 and consecrated in 1925. Munxar became an independent parish from Sannat on 12 December 1957, and the church of St Paul became the parish church of Munxar.
11. Munxar Parish Church Dedication: St Paul Address: 12 December Street (Triq it-Tnax ta' Diċembru), Il-Munxar Phone: +356 2156 0845 Feast: Last Sunday of May
12. Our Lady of Mount Carmel Dedication: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Address: Munxar, Malta Phone: +356 2155 4611 Feast: 1st Sunday of September
Once a suburb of Victoria, Fontana (Spring in Italian) is locally known as ‘It-Triq tal-Għajn’ (the way to the spring), and it took its name from a spring at the bottom of the road leading to Xlendi, known locally as “l-Għajn il-Kbira”, (the big spring). On the lower part of Fontana, on the right-hand side of the road to Xlendi, one cannot help but notice the evergreen Lunzjata Valley going up to the village of Kerċem. Local farmers are busy all year long in this fertile part of Gozo. Fontana has its own parish church, The Sacred Heart of Jesus Church and also offers the Manresa Retreat House.
13. Manresa Church Address: Triq Santa Dminka, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta
14. Fontana Parish Church Dedication: Sacred Heart Of Jesus Parish Church Address: Spring Street (Triq tal-Għajn), Fontana Phone: +356 2155 6097 Feast: 3rd Sunday of June
Still known as Rabat with the locals, Victoria is the capital of Gozo and stands central with the Citadel in full view from all corners of the town. There are approximately twelve churches in the vicinity, all can be reached on foot while wandering around the town. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven is the Gozo Cathedral in the Cittadella of Victoria and simply has to be seen.
15. Good Shepherd Church Address: Triq il-31 ta' Marzu 1979, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Phone: +356 2155 196615,
16. Madonna ta' Pompei Church Dedication: Immaculate Conception Address: Triq Enrico Mizzi, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Feast: 8 May
17. Conventual Church of St Francis of Assisi (Knisja ta' San Franġisk) Dedication: St Francis of Assisi Address: Pjazza San Franġisk, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Phone: +356 2156 2528 Feast: 4 October
18. Church of St Augustine, Victoria Gozo Dedication : St Augustine Address: St Augustine Square Gozo, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Phone: +356 2155 6060 Feast: 28 August
19. St George's Basilica Dedication: St George Address: Pjazza San Ġorġ, Victoria VCT, Malta Website Feast: 3rd Sunday of July
20. Gozo Cathedral Dedication: Assumption of Mary Address: It-Telgħa tal-Belt, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Phone: +356 2155 4101 Feast: 15 August
21. Santa Savina Church Dedication: Nativity of Mary Ta' Savina Address: S Marija, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Phone: +356 2156 3684
22. Saint James' Church Dedication: St James Address: Pjazza l-Indipendenza, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 7:30PM Feast: 25 July
23. Annunciation Chapel, Victoria Address: Lunzjata Valley (Wied il-Lunzjata) Feast: 25 March
24. Immaculate Heart Of Mary Church Dedication: Mary Address: Palm Street (Triq Palma)25
Old St Joseph’s is a Roman Catholic Church located in the medieval walled Cittadella in Victoria, Gozo, Malta.
25. St Josephs Chapel Address: Old St Joseph's fiċ-Ċittadella Feast: 19 March
26. Santa Marta Chapel Address: Triq l-Arċisqof Pietru Pace, Ir-Rabat Għawdex, Malta Website
The village of Kerċem lies close by to the south-west of Victoria, spread between the picturesque Lunzjata Valley, the green hills of Tal-Mixta, Għar Ilma and Ta’ Dbieġi, and stretching up to the Pond of Għadira ta’ San Rafflu and Xlendi cliffs. The Church of St Lucy is a rural small church located in a hamlet of Santa Luċija.
27. St Lucy's Church, Gozo Dedication: St Lucy Address: St Lucy Square (Pjazza Santa Luċija), Santa Luċija hamlet Feast: Sunday nearest 13 December
28. Kercem Parish Church Dedication: St Gregory and Our Lady of Soccorso Address: Our Saviour's Square (Pjazza Salvatur) Feast: 2nd Sunday of July
San Lawrenz is a pretty town in Gozo which boasts the Dwejra nature reserve and Inland Sea and of course, the former Azure Window. The village has two churches, the pretty parish church in the square and St Annes down at Dwerja. A stunning and unique spot and a must visit.
29. San Lawrenz Parish Church Dedication: St Lawrenz Address: St. Lawrence Square (Pjazza San Lawrenz), San Lawrenz Phone: +356 2155 6073 Feast: Sunday after 10 August
30. Kappella Sant’ Anna Dedication: St Anne Address: Triq id-Dwejra, San Lawrenz, Malta (A 3-min walk from the Azure Window) Feast: 26 July
Gharb, the old Maltese word for ‘West‘ is located at the westernmost point of the island and boasts The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of Ta’ Pinu. This national shrine is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Ta’ Pinu and is a magnificent landmark.
31. Gharb Parish Church - Basilica of The Visitation Gharb Dedication: Visitation of Our Lady to St Elizabeth Address: Trux Street (Triq Tat-Trux) Phone: +356 2155 6129 Feast: First Sunday In July
32.St Dimitri Chapel, Gharb Dedication: St Dimitri Address: Ta Birbuba Phone: +356 2155 6129 Feast: 3rd Sunday of October
33. Basilica of the Blessed Virgin Of Ta' Pinu Dedication:Our Lady of Ta' Pinu Address: Shrine, Ta’ Pinu, Road, Gharb, Malta Phone: +356 2155 6187 District: Roman Catholic Diocese of Gozo Feast: 22 June
Ghasri lies between the hills of Zebbug and Ghammar. Dominated by the Giordan Lighthouse it boasts three epic churches. St Publius’ Chapel is a small Roman Catholic church, The Basilica of Our Lady of Patronage is a small countryside church located in Wied il-Għasri and the Corpus Christi Church.
34. Knisja San Publju Dedication: St Publius Address: St Publius Street (Triq San Publiju) Feast: 3rd or 4th Sunday of January
35. Ghasri Basilica Chapel Dedication: Basilica of Our Lady of Patronage Address: Triq il-Knisja, L-Għasri, Malta Phone: +356 2156 0137 Feast: October
36. Ghasri Parish Church Dedication: Corpus Christi Address: Our Saviour's Square (Pjazza s-Salvatur), Għasri, Malta Phone: +356 2156 0137 Website Feast: 1st/2nd Sunday of June
Zebbug, s a small village overlooking the northwest coast of the island and means “olives” in Maltese. It is close to Gharb and Ghasri and just up the road from Marsalforn, where you can on of the two churches in the village.
37. Żebbuġ Parish Church Dedication: Assumption of Mary Address: Pjazza L-Assunta, Iż-Żebbuġ, Malta Phone: +356 2155 4882 Feast: Sunday after 15 August
38. St Paul's Church Address: Triq Għar Qawqla, Iż-Żebbuġ, Malta Phone: +356 2155 1010 Website Feast: January
Xaghra is a well-inhabited town on Gozo and home to the Ġgantija megalithic temples which date back to the year 3600BC and the Xagħra Stone Circle. Natural underground features such as Xerri’s Grotto and Ninu’s Cave can be found in this town, along with Calypso’s Cave which overlooks the red sandy beach of Ramla. The Parish Church is always a hubub of activity, especially at feast times and Christmas.
39. Xaghra Parish Church Dedication: Nativity Of Mary Address: Victory Square, Xaghra, Malta 39. Phone: +356 2155 1042 Feast: 8 September
40. Jesus of Nazareth Church (Knisja Gesu Nazzarenu) Dedication: Jesus of Nazareth Address: Triq Gnien Xibla, Xaghra, gozo, Malta Phone: +356 2156 0813
41. The Church of Saint Anthony the Abbot Dedication: St Anthony of Egypt Address: 23-109 Triq Sant Anton, Ix-Xagħra, Malta Feast: January